Leftover boerewors from Sunday’s braai? Make this quick, tasty frittata to liven up Monday’s lunchbox. You can add any other leftover veggies, like roast potatoes or mixed peppers, to keep things interesting. If you don’t have boerewors, use any protein you have in the fridge: bacon, ham, and chicken all work well. You can easily double this recipe for extra servings.
Makes 1 small frittata, enough for 2 servings
You will need:
3 large eggs
30 ml full cream milk
A handful of mozzarella or cheddar cheese
Leftover boerewors (I used a piece about 15 cm long)
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 ml garlic (1 small clove), chopped (optional)
2 ml Dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO TRY: Mini cheese & chives loaves lunchbox recipe
How to make the frittata
- Spray a small (15cm x 15cm) ovenproof dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and salt and pepper together. Add about ¾ of the cheese to the egg mixture.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and fry the tomato and onion. Add the garlic and mixed herbs and fry for another minute. Cut the boerewors into thin slices and add to the tomato mixture. Stir through to combine and remove from the heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour the boerewors mixture into the bottom of the prepared dish. Pour the egg mixture over the boerewors and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until cooked through and nicely browned. Allow to cool to room temperature before cutting (make this the night before to save time).