It is no secret that we start worrying about our children even before they are born; it could be anything from thinking about their health and safety, early learning, how they might build their communication and fine motor skills, whether they would be socially awkward or easy-going, and if it would be an effortless task to get them to pick the basic etiquettes of the daily life or not. Many more such questions and thoughts keep popping up in our minds every now and then.
Choosing a Preschool for your Toddler
What happens when it is time to start early education and choose a preschool for your toddler? Needless to say, it becomes a big decision to make and sometimes a daunting task as well.
Here are a few factors you could keep in mind while choosing a preschool:
- Pedagogy: What is the focus of the preschool’s curriculum, and does it align with your educational beliefs? It is important to enroll your child in a preschool that offers a pedagogy rooted in early childhood research to support your offspring’s well-being and holistic development. It is good to raise academically well-versed children, but a confident, inquisitive, independent, and humane adult can go a long way.
- Teachers: Are the educators qualified and experienced? Are they passionate about childcare? It is advisable to ensure that children are surrounded by warm-hearted and committed teachers and caregivers. These adults are the ones who will be able to encourage a safe environment, support exploration, and invite good interaction.
- Location and Facilities: Is the preschool located in a safe and convenient location for you? It is good to enroll your child in a preschool that is designed to encourage play, exploration, and discovery. Outdoor play areas, safe and spacious classrooms, and stimulating high-quality play equipment are all part of a great childhood experience for your toddler.
In addition to these, you may also want to consider the following:
- Finances: How much is the preschool fee? Is it affordable for your family?
- School’s philosophy: What is the school’s philosophy on early childhood education? Do they belief that every child is valuable and deserves to have the opportunity to recognize their intrinsic value and thrive?
- Activities and programs: What types of activities and programs does the school offer? Does it emphasize the need for children to interact with others to thrive, learn and develop?
Once you have considered all of these, you can start visiting preschools. It is important to visit as many preschools as possible before making that final call. This will give you a chance to see the schools in action and meet the teachers and staff.
When you visit a preschool, do pay attention to the following:
- Overall atmosphere, cleanliness, and safety of the facility
- Interactions between the teachers and children
- Activities that are being offered
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask the faculty or staff. They should be happy to answer your questions and help you make the best decision for your little one.
Getting your Toddler Excited About Preschool
Once you have chosen a preschool, it is important to start preparing your toddler for the transition. With a little preparation, your toddler can have a positive and successful experience in preschool.
Here are a few things you can do:
- Talk to your little one about preschool and how fun it would be
- Read books on toddlers enjoying preschool and help them develop a love of learning
- Visit the preschool along with your child so they can get familiar with the environment
- Encourage your toddler to be independent and help them develop self-care skills
It is also important to be patient and understanding during the transition. It may take some time for your child to adjust to their new school. Be there to support them and help them through their fears and concerns. By following these tips, you can positively aid your toddler to be ready for the challenges and excitement of preschool.
Why Choose Dibber International Preschools?
At Dibber International Preschools, we focus on providing every child with a playful, loving, interactive, and supportive environment where they can learn and explore the world through activity-based pedagogy and develop their skills at their own pace.
With experienced and warm-hearted educators, proven pedagogy principles and a safe, spacious, and well-designed setting, our international preschools are bound to make learning enjoyable, inclusive, and fun for each child that walks into our campus.
At the centre of everything is our ‘Heart Culture’ which strengthens and broadens a child’s sense of character, connections, and social well-being and ensures intrinsic value and relationships come first.
Curious to know more about what Dibber education entails and how we develop lifelong learners with a heart for the world? Click here to learn more: dibber.co.za.