1.7K Reading Time: 2 minutes
What we eat and drink plays a huge role in the health of our skin. There are plenty of nutrients that play a vital role in skin health, including (but not limited to) vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E and minerals such as Iron, Zinc and Selenium, as well as omega 3 fatty acids. Yes, you can take a supplement but the nutrients are found and better absorbed by our bodies from what we eat and drink – so that means that you CAN eat your way to better skin.
Foods to eat and avoid if you have acne, oily or blemish-prone skinEverybody’s skin is different, and the reasons why we get acne or blemishes differ for each person. What we do know is that a diet consisting of foods that are high in simple carbohydrates can cause someone to be more prone to acne and blemishes. These foods increase the blood insulin too quickly and high blood insulin levels may cause oil glands to secrete more oil, increasing your risk of developing acne. It is important to note that not all carbohydrates are the same. It’s simple sugars/carbohydrate foods that you should avoid if you have acne.
- Baked food products e.g., croissants, biscuits, cakes, white bread
- Sugar sweetened beverages e.g., soft drinks, energy drinks
- Simple sugars e.g., high sugar chocolate, sweets, ice-cream, confectionary treats.
Foods you SHOULD eat if you have acne and want healthier skinFoods that are particularly good for fighting acne are foods that are packed with the vital nutrients mentioned above. But complex carbohydrates, which don’t spike blood glucose and insulin levels too quickly, are also good at fighting acne and clearing skin.
These foods include but are not limited to:
- Wholegrains: All types of beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, oats, sorghum, & other wholegrains.
- Fruits & vegetables: Colourful fruits & veggies are packed with vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients that are important for skin health.
- Healthy fats: Avocado, nuts, seeds like flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, oily fish like pilchards and sardines.
- Fluid: Water is one the best fluids that is good for acne.
You may also like
There is a common misconception that people with darker skin tones, particularly black people, are immune to skin cancer. Let’s debunk that myth.