Every parent knows how easily kids pick up viruses from each other in school or daycare settings. Some of these symptoms are gone in a day, but sometimes they can last much longer. You want your child’s immune system to be fighting fit, as it is the key to good health.
Few people know that there is a very strong link between your child’s gut health and how well their immune system works. In fact, about 70% of the immune system is housed in the gut.1
Here’s what this interaction between the immune system and bacteria in the gut means for your child’s health:
- The microbiota or all the micro-organisms (such as good bacteria) that live in the digestive tract, help to maintain the stability of the immune function in the gut.2
- Changes in the gut microbiota can lead to your child’s immune system not detecting or responding as efficiently to invaders, such as viruses.3
- A stable microbiota helps with digestion, production of nutrients, detoxification, protection against germs and general regulation of the immune system.3
- A healthy immune system fights harmful viruses, but also knows not to put up a fight against healthy parts of the human body or against harmless substances.3
Your child can, in certain circumstances, develop an imbalance in the gut bacteria, which reduces the immune system’s ability to recognise and fight off harmful germs. Think of the immune system as a protective wall – an imbalance can cause it to crumble, removing the protective barrier the immune system usually provides.4
Frequent causes of gut imbalance4
- Changes in your child’s diet
- Taking antibiotics
- No regular brushing of the teeth
- High stress or anxiety levels
Possible effects of gut imbalance4
- Changes in your child’s immune response
- Leaky gut syndrome (gaps in the digestive system allow bacteria and toxins to leak into the bloodstream)
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
Why choose Enterogermina®?
Enterogermina® is a probiotic (live micro-organisms that help to restore balance in the gut), easy to use, and part of the solution to help ensure gut health and a strong immune system in your child.
- Enterogermina® is the world’s #1 over-the-counter probiotic.*
- It works gently, in harmony with the body to restore and maintain a healthy gut.
- It contains the bacterium Bacillus clausii that survives the journey through your child’s digestive tract. This bacterium is not destroyed or weakened by stomach acids.5
- This means that Enterogermina® is active where it needs to be, namely in the intestine.5
- Enterogermina® is not destroyed by antibiotics your child may be taking.6
- Enterogermina® only has to be given once a day in liquid form, so no struggling to get your child to swallow and chew tablets.
- Enterogermina® has no taste, or smell, and contains no sugar, lactose, gluten or preservatives, so your child is unlikely to pull a face or refuse to take the medication.
*Nicholas Hall’s Global OTC database, B6, 2019 & 2020. 1. Ciccolini, K. (2018) If Your Gut Could Talk: 10 Things You Should Know. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/things-your-gut-wants-you-to-know. Accessed on 25/05/2021. 2. Fields, H. (2015) The Gut: Where Bacteria and Immune System Meet. Cited: 20.10.2021. Available: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/research/advancements-in-research/fundamentals/in-depth/the-gut-where-bacteria-and-immune-system-meet. 3. Wu H.J., Wu E. The role of gut microbiota in immune homeostasis and autoimmunity. Gut Microbes. (2012). Vol 3, pp 4 – 14. Cited: 20.10.2021. Available: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3337124/. 4. What Causes Dysbiosis and How Is It Treated? Healthline. [Online]. Cited: 25.05.2021. Available: https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/dysbiosis. 5. Ghelardi E, et al. Survival and persistence of Bacillus clausii in the human gastrointestinal tract following oral administration as spore-based probiotic formulation. J Appl Microbiol. 2015;119(2):552-9. 6. Abbrescia A, et al. Antibiotic Sensitivity of Bacillus clausii Strains in Commercial Preparation. Clinical Immunology, Endocrine & Metabolic Drugs 2014; 1:102-110. ENTEROGERMINA® 2 billion/5 ml, oral suspension: Each 5 ml vial contains 2 billion polyantibiotic-resistant Bacillus clausii spores (strains SIN, O/C, T, N/R). Class D: Complementary Medicines: Health supplement; 34.9 Probiotics. ENTEROGERMINA® 4 billion/5 ml, oral suspension: Each 5 ml vial contains 4 billion polyantibiotic-resistant Bacillus clausii spores (strains SIN, O/C, T, N/R). Class D: Complementary Medicines: Health supplement; 34.9 Probiotics. This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use. For full patient information refer to the patient information leaflet. Holder of Certificate of Registration: sanofi-aventis south africa (pty) ltd, Reg. no.:1996/010381/07. Sanofi House, 2 Bond Street, Grand Central Ext. 1, Midrand, 1685. Tel: (011) 256 3700 Fax: (011) 256 3707. www.sanofi.co.za. MAT-ZA-2101353-1.0-10/2021